Monday, November 10

Silver Medal Day

Transport arrived at 7am this morning to take us to Jackie’s follow up appointment with his Neurosurgeon. Our doc was pleased with the results of the test taken right before the visit and was also glad to hear Jackie’s voice. He reached for simple objects in his pocket like a pen and small flashlight and was amazed that Jackie could quickly identify each object and its color. Jackie even completed easy multiplication problems. PTL When testing Jackie’s left side he was able to see slight movement in the left arm and even greater movement in the left leg. PTL He has the same opinion as Dr. K and feels that with time Jackie’s left side should begin to engage more. Our next appointment is now scheduled for late in January. We are hoping that Jackie can surprise him with more progress by then.

Since we were able to get to see the doc a little early, we were back at Magee in time for PT with Erin. Besides his normal workout, she worked on different chair options for Jackie. She brought him back to the room in a new chair which we were to test throughout the rest of the day.

Immediately after PT Jackie had lunch with Becca. He was starving as he only had a very small breakfast in between his test and doc appointment. He could not wait to eat. Becca had ordered ground meat for him to try and he proceeded to eat double portions along with other foods. She decided to upgrade his diet to allow him to eat ground meats. PTL

We helped Jackie get in bed for a short rest before OT. Paula did some stretching and put on Jackie’s elbow and hand braces. Jim and I stayed back in the room getting some things organized. I was on pins and needles, and was about to pull off a giant surprise for Jim. He is the assistant golf coach at his high school and with everything going on was unable to coach this season. The girls team which he helped to start and coach from their Freshman year on were mostly seniors this year and had won second in states. This was a huge achievement for the girls and the school. Jim had tossed around the idea of taking a trip back for the tournament but felt he needed to stay in Philly. Not long after the win, the head coach got in touch with me and said that he and the girls wanted to come to Philly and present Jim with one of the silver medals. I thought it was a terrific idea and worked with Robin a new Magee staffer who helped pull everything off. We totally surprised Jim. He walked into the decorated conference room and was taken back when he saw the girls team. It was a beautiful moment for all of us and one I don’t think I will ever forget. Jackie was able to join in on some of the fun. We talked in the room for a while and then gave everyone a tour of Magee. After the tour Jackie and I went to his room so he could eat dinner and that allowed Jim to take his time and say goodbye to the girls.

When Jim got back to the room, Jackie finished up his meal and enjoyed a Magnum bar for dessert. He was exhausted from this very busy day. We helped him get in bed and he watched some TV before dosing off to sleep. He was awakened by Lindsay who had taken the train in from DC. She had come to Philly for a very special day that was to unfold tomorrow morning. They hugged for a long time and then Jackie fell fast asleep.

“No one has ever achieved anything from the smallest to the greatest unless the dream was dreamed first.”
~Laura Ingalls Wilder